Saturday, July 26, 2008

Pioneer Day

I just watched the Mormon Pioneer Day Commemoration broadcast by our church on the Internet, and, I loved it! It was completely different than what I expected, but it was great! The world renown Mormon Tabernacle Choir sang some beautiful church hymns, and, the Osmond's performed many of their hit songs, some spiritual and some just plain fun! This year they are celebrating their 50th year in entertainment.

Donnie told a great story about exchanging text messages with his son while he was on a mission. When Donnie was recording a song for a new album his son sent him a text message. It said, "Are you there?" Donnie texted him back, and after 15 minutes of exchanging messages, his son said, "Thanks Dad, I'm OK now." Donnie asked him what had changed to make him feel better. His son replied I just needed to know that where ever I am you are always there. Donnie then compared the experience with his son to Jesus Christ. He explained that Christ is always there for us whenever you need him. After telling the story, Donnie sang a song he wrote as a result of the experience with his son.

Donnie's story made me think of two things. First, how much Jesus and our Heavenly Father love us and are here for us no matter where we are, or what we are experiencing. Secondly, his story made me think about my own daughters, and how much I love them and will always pour out my love and support to them through whatever life throws their way.

I love how music invites the Spirit. It is such a beautiful feeling.

3 comments:

Brittany Owens said...

You are so much better than I about these things. I didn't even realize they did something fun like this. I am going to have to check it out for myself. I have to say though, I am not a Donny fan. Is that bad?

barb said...

is it still available on the internet?

Ally Cat Girl said...

It's terrible that you're not a Donny fan! Just kidding! Actually this is the first time I've heard or seen the Osmond's perform. I wasn't interested before, but this time I actually enjoyed it. Unfortunately the church is not archiving this one, so you'll have to wait until next time.