Nayeli started preschool for the first time this week. I did not think I was going to be nervous or really emotional. I was more excited than anything...until the night before. I was surprised to find myself filled with nervousness and anxiety as I laid out her supplies for the next morning. More than anything I wanted Nayeli to enjoy herself.
I am glad Nayeli had quite a different experience the night before. She was not nervous or scared. She was excited to play with all the toys at preschool and to play on the playground. I thought it was cute that she felt that way, but it also made me a little nervous . I did not want her to be disappointed when she found out that she would be doing more than just playing.
The closest experience I can compare with dropping Nayeli off to preschool is when I took her to the church nursery for the first time. In both situations I felt weird leaving her alone in a group setting with people I did not know. I found myself lingering in the classroom for a few minutes after Nayeli got situated. I was not completely out of the ordinary. There were a few other parents hanging out with their child too. I probably would have staid longer, I had a hard time letting Nayeli go, but Nick reminded me that Nayeli was fine and I could leave.
I am happy to report that just as Nayeli survived her first days of nursery without me, she also made it through preschool alone. She said she had fun, but it was hard to tell if she really did. Her teachers reported that she did not cry while I was away. I took that as a good sign. I think Nayeli was a little disappointed that they did not play on the playground. I did not have the heart to tell her that I think they only use the playground in the afternoon for the kids that stay a full day.
I was anxious to find out how Nayeli would like her second day of preschool. I thought that would be a better indication of what she really thought of preschool. I was happy to learn that she had a great time and really did like preschool. She was picked as the person of the day and has not stopped talking about it since. She also enjoys the craft projects and story time. Last night she asked me when Tuesday was going to come so she could go to preschool again. I am so thrilled that she is enjoying preschool.
3 comments:
That all sounds great. Thanks for the description of her days- makes me almost feel like we are there too.
She is getting so big! I'm glad that she is adapting so well.
Good job Nayeli! I bet she is the smartest kid in the class.
Post a Comment