Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Off the Road



After an eventful week I finally have time to sit down and blog. The first few days we spent in our new home consisted of unpacking, shopping and eating multiple meals at McDonald's. We were very fortunate to have Nick's parents and my Mom drive down with us. It would have been impossible to accomplish much of anything with the girls. Plus I wasn't ready to say goodbye yet.

I love the larger space in our apartment. I don't feel so claustrophobic. It is funny not knowing what room everyone is in all the time. There is much more room to hide or enjoy peace and quiet.

Karyna is adjusting easily. I suppose it is her age. Nayeli had a harder time the first few days, but seems to be doing better as we unpack more of her things. I'm enjoying the endless shopping possibilities. I can now shop stores I could only visit online. The Container Store is one example. I am bummed they don't have an Ikea. In spite of all the fun places to shop I don't think I'll be spending as much time shopping here because the stores are farther away and there are so many fun places to take the kids.

Tomorrow I am going to take the kids to the city zoo for the first time. I am so excited. It is only a few miles from where we live. I'm going with a few girls from the ward and their kids. I also look forward to getting to know them better.

The biggest problem I'm having right now is trying to get the management company to fix all the maintenance problems. It's so frustrating. I'm used to having more control over getting maintenance problems fixed right away. The list is so long with things that need to be fixed that I won't bore you with the details, except for that they took out a third of our counter and cupboard space when they remodeled our kitchen. As you can imagine I was pretty peeved! I was looking forward to having more room to put all the kitchenware we had stored at Nick's parents.

On another note it's funny how as human beings we cling to the familiar, or at least I do. I felt more like home when I went to Target and Home Depot. Although the Target was a Greatland, so it was organized differently. I also felt comforted as I heard familiar songs on the radio. Don't laugh but I was never so relieved to hear Avril Lavigne and Justin Timberlake. It made my world not feel so unfamiliar.

All and all I'm enjoying myself in my new environment and am looking forward to both Nayeli and I making friends. I'm not worried about Nick because he's good at making lots of friends quickly. I also look forward to keeping in touch with friends and family. Hint...hint. I would love to hear from you whether by e-mail or phone.

6 comments:

Jessie said...

I'm so glad you guys made it to St. Louis ok. You'll settle in great. I don't think a Miller family can go anywhere without making a bunch of friends.

Welch Mom said...

We miss you already! Don't forget to check out our tribute to you on the blog along with some comments of others! Glad you made it and you have plenty of friends here still!

TracyB said...

I am so excited you guys are here now. I can't wait to see you. I would love to get together sometime soon(once you feel settled). There are so many fun things to do in St Louis. I think we are only about 30min away from where you live. I will talk to you soon!!!! Welcome home!

barb said...

i was glad to see you got a chance to blog again - and look forward to nick doing the same when he is ready. i wish your camera had not dropped as i was looking forward to pics of the place, but that will come later.

i am glad we went down with you as now when we think of you and family, we actually can visualize your home, the walk out the front door and nayeli's school, and even where nick will be most days. that actually is a big comfort to us.

talk to you soon.

Sarah said...

I can totally relate! Glad that you made it safely to St. Louis. I enjoy the roomier place but getting anything fixed has been a challenge for us too, and we've been here three months.

Nick said...

Ugh. Was it really the Target music that made things familiar? I thought it would be hanging with me on the couch watching Gilmore Girls, or the comforting feeling of being lost --- something you were never unfamiliar with in our native state!!! ;) Just kidding, of course. Besides, home is where the family is, and we're all still together!