Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Sick Birthday

Today is Karyna's birthday. We didn't do anything special today because we celebrated her first birthday last Saturday. Even though she already had a party I wanted to still make her actual birthday special, but even the best intentions sometimes get thwarted. Nayeli is sick with a virus the doctors can't completely diagnose. Since she's been sick all week I haven't been able to get out and get Karyna's present which I planned on her opening today. Nayeli was going to pick out a present for her too. She was very excited to wrap it up for her and-then help her open it. I'm disappointed things didn't turn out how I planned, but sometimes life doesn't always work out that way. I guess it's how you handle, or respond to the sometimes disappointing events, that is the most important.

I didn't intend for this entry to have a melancholy tone, but as I reflect on this week I'm starting to feel that way. It just has been a hard week. I was looking forward to going to the pool and shopping for Karyna's birthday with Nayeli, along with other things, but instead I'm stuck inside. Although with Nayeli being sick there isn't any other place I'd rather be, at home making sure she is as comfortable as possible.

It's a strange feeling to watch your child get sick with something that you have know idea what it is and to watch her develop new symptoms each day. I think I'm extra paranoid from watching all those House episodes. Before I go any further I don't want you to get too worried about Nayeli. I think she's at the end of the virus, that's what the doctor said. She developed a rash on her body yesterday and the doctor said that is a sign that she's at the end of the cycle of the virus. It has just been hard to see her looking so sick. She's pale. Her eyes are read and puffy. She reminds me of a sick child you'd see on a hospital show or in a movie. Her spirits have been better than she looks, so I'm grateful for that. Her temperature was 103.4 the first day I noticed she was sick. That completely freaked me out. I don't know that I've ever had a temperature that high. I'm just glad that she's doing better and her temperature with the help of Tylenol was normal today.

On another note I've been so frustrated with my job this week. All I want to do is take care of Nayeli, but I keep getting interrupted by people wanting to see an apartment, or residents with maintenance problems. I can't wait until we move, and, I can be home with the girls without the constant interruptions of work.

On a more positive note Karyna had a wonderful birthday party on Saturday! I'll write all about it and post lots of pictures later this week.

11 comments:

katie said...

What a stinky week! Don't you wish you could "call in sick" to your job? Hope things get better soon!

barb said...

Sorry this week has been so hard. I had hoped to come over Tuesday for the actual birthday also - and never got away from work until late in the evening. I hope things improve for all of you. Take care of yourself though.

Nick said...

Yes, the week has been rough. But think of all the Gilmore Girls we've been able to watch! Gotta look on the bright side...

katie said...

Yea for GG, what season are you kids on?

barb said...

i was just going to ask that too - you must be almost ready to borrow the next ones.

Welch Mom said...

Keep up your spirits tomorrow will be better`!

Ally Cat Girl said...

We finished season 3 and are ready for 4. We have a lot of GG to watch the next 6 weeks so we can finish it before we leave! I don't think they have GG for rent at the library in St. Louis, but who knows.

Sarah said...

I kind of know how you feel. It's been raining for the past two weeks. We'd gotten used to going to the pool and now it's thunder and lightening and rain everyday. Stuck inside on the fourth of July. Hang in there! Feel free to give me a call anytime, I'm still at the same number. Miss you guys...

katie said...

Where are the pictures you promised? It gets boring reading the same post every day... Give us something new!

Lucia said...

Hey! I can't believe your TINY little baby is already ONE!!!Holy Cow! So how much longer until you guys move? And what's your new place like?

Ally Cat Girl said...

Yeah, sorry fans. I haven't posted in awhile because along with moving stuff I've been watching Gilmore Girls. It's Katie and Barb's fault for getting us hooked!