Our trip to visit Nick's new grad school last weekend was a success. We accomplished what we set out to do. Nick registered as a student, got an id card, and turned in his financial aide paperwork. I wanted to make the transition to our life as easy as possible, so I located all of the types of places I usually frequent. I found the nearest grocery stores, libraries and parks. We also met our neighbors living above us, saw our future apartment, got a tour of the city, and visited our new church. It could not have been a more productive trip.Our new neighbors and my cousin Ben were great hosts. They both were responsible for touring us around town. Our neighbors even let us stay with them for the weekend without ever having met us. I was so impressed with their kindness and wonderful hospitality. I look forward to developing lasting friendships with them.
I am really grateful for the opportunity Nick has to study at such a fine university, and for the growing experience that this move will provide. After visiting our new home and becoming a little more familiar with the area I think my biggest challenge will be adjusting to city life. I have been spoiled I guess to have lived in many great suburbs. Now it's time to get out of my comfort zone and experience city life. I feel like Clifford or Curious George moving from one type of living environment to another. Although they moved from city life to country life instead of the other way around. Is that pathetic that I'm comparing myself to characters from children's television programs? I hope not because that is how I spend most of my time...with my children-and I love it.
Since we are on the topic of children I thought I would mention that it was really hard to be away from the girls for three days. It was hard on the girls too-although they could not have been in better care. They were with their Grandparents! Karyna's schedule was a little thrown off due to the obvious change. Nayeli was OK with the separation until the last day. She started crying and asking for Mommy and Daddy. As hard as it was to know that she was sad, I was glad that she missed us!
7 comments:
It was hard for the girls too - but speaking for myself, it was fun to have them for a couple days - more time to bond and all that. Can't wait to see the apartment and St. Louis myself.
Don't forget two important lessons we learned in STL as well: don't eat at Brandt's, and don't get smoothies from Kayak's coffee shop.
Kayak's coffee shop? Is that like Al's Pancake World?
what is that all about?
And you call yourself a Gilmore Girls fan, Mom!
I know about Al's pancake world - i meant what is Brandt's and Kayak's about - meaning were they some kind of bad trip they had?
Brandt's was a restaurant we ate at with friends from Nick's program. The food wasn't that good and it was overpriced. Kayak's had awful watered down smoothies and again over priced. Now we know two places not to take you guys when you visit!
Post a Comment