Thursday, April 19, 2007

Why?

Today over a plate full of toast and strawberries, Nayeli asked me, "Why does Heavenly Father need to bless the food? Why can't we do it?" Those are the kind of questions you are so glad your child is asking because it shows they are really thinking about the world around them, but are so difficult to answer. It reminds me of an episode of Calliou. The four year old cartoon character asked his Daddy as he was getting ready for bed, "Why do we have stars?" His dad simply replied "Um..umm. Goodnight Calliou." As I watched that exchange between father and son I wondered what would I have told Nayeli if she asked me that question.

Nayeli is at a very fun age. She's always asking, "Why?" I look forward to what she will ask next. Will it be a challenging question I really have to think hard to answer, or will it be funny, something only a two year old asks that makes me laugh?

2 comments:

barb said...

and what WILL you tell Nayeli if she asks about stars?

Nick said...

Let's also remember that while the question "Why?" is cute, asking it repeatedly without end isn't quite as much fun. Which is why I find myself saying: "just because" a lot more than I used to with her...