Monday, April 2, 2007

Finger Foods

Karyna is almost completely on finger foods! The other day I made her the usual concoction of yummy baby food and cereal, but she was very uninterested! She began to cry, the kind where her mouth turns into a frown and her lips begin to quiver. As she looked at me with her tear stained face and loud cries, I knew right then she was ready for finger foods. She really wanted my sandwich. I would have given it to her if I could, but instead I threw away the baby food and broke up little pieces of toast.

It is exciting to watch Karyna reach another milestone. However, with many milestones the learning process at first can take a really long time. Karya's mealtimes went from ten minutes to almost two hours!

I can remember feeling the same way with Nayeli when she started eating finger foods. I was thrilled to see her eating more solid food, but frustrated that she took so long to eat! Sometimes I wanted to revert back to baby food because it was so much quicker!

Oh well, as with Nayeli, the joy watching Karyna eat and explore new foods with her fingers makes the long mealtime worth it. It is fun to watch Karyna both succeed and fail at putting little pieces of food in her mouth. It is especially funny when she drops them in her chair, and she cannot find them! She tries so hard but they are just out of eyesight.

Here is a video I took today of Karyna eating Cheerios and bananas. It is quite cute watching all the movements and facial expressions she makes while sitting in her chair. I guess she has to have fun eating, or she would not be able to sit for so long!

4 comments:

Aunt Alice said...

How cute! Does Karyna have teeth yet?

Aunt Alice said...

I've watched the movie clip over and over - it's just so cute!

barb said...

i love the involvement she puts into her eating! rocking back and forth in her chair - why NOT enjoy the meal however she likes to? can't read yet...

grandma said...

I loved watching Karyna rock - reminded me of her "2nd" cousin Joseph as baby.