Friday, May 4, 2007

Sleeping Pains

Karyna finally made the transition from sleeping in our room to sleeping in Nayeli's room-now her room too! As happy as we are to have our room back it was not an easy transition. Nick and I decided to make the change after a visit with the doctor. We originally took Karyna in for an ear infection. To our relief the doctor told us she was fine. She was not pulling on her ears because she was in pain, but because that is what babies do at her age.

After he was done with the exam I decided to bring up her sleeping problems. I told him she was still waking up a couple of times a night to eat. The doctor said after 5 months babies should not need to wake up to feed . My sister-and-law told me something similar before the doctor visit, but I thought that Karyna was an exception because she might not be getting enough milk during the day. She only likes to drink milk from one side. When I brought up my concern with the doctor he said she is getting enough milk because she is growing perfectly normal and at a healthy weight. After those reassuring words Nick and I decided it was time to stop feeding her at night and put her to bed in her own room.

The first night, Wednesday, April 25th, proved to be brutal, and, I faced the challenge of putting the girls to bed in the same room by myself. Nick had to be somewhere that night and I did not want to prolong the change any longer. I put Nayeli and Karyna in their perspective beds at eight o'clock. They are both used to going to bed at that time, but in separate rooms. It was a disaster. They both screamed at the top of their lungs. As one screamed louder and longer, so did the other one. After listening to screams for a half an hour I decided to separate the two. I left Karyna in her crib and told Nayeli she had to sleep in my bed. Nayeli was very relieved to trade the room she did not want to share with Karyna for a quieter, more peaceful one. I was very surprised that she actually fell asleep in our bed. Believe it or not that was the first time she slept in our bed! Karyna slept well too-once she fell asleep. She woke up two or three times at night, but only cried for a few minutes when I did not come in to feed her.

During nights two, three, and four Nayeli continued to sleep in our bed, and Karyna in her crib. By the fourth Night Karyna was no longer waking up wanting to eat. Instead she was sleeping until about 5:45am! Yes, I know this is still early, but I was so happy that she was sleeping straight through the night!

By night five Nick and I mustered up the courage to try and put the girls to sleep in the same room again. It was a horrendous evening, but we made progress because after an hour of screams both girls went to sleep!!!! I have to applaud Nick for his strength because during the hour of screams he went in many times to try and calm the girls down, reassure them, and reaffirm to Nayeli that she had to sleep in her room with Karyna-she wanted to sleep in our bed which she called her "new bed."

The morning also proved to be challenging. When Karyna woke up crying, at her new usual time of 5:45am, she woke up Nayeli. Nayeli was very unhappy to be woken up and started crying as well. Immediately before the situation could get any worse I told Nayeli to come with me and sleep in my bed. Nayeli went back to sleep with Nick, but I fed Karyna and then was up for the morning.

Night six was Monday night. I did not want to endure another night of screams especially if it would interfere with one of my favorite TV shows Heroes, at 9pm. I decided to put Karyna down first, and, after she fell asleep I would put Nayeli to bed. It proved successful.

The morning was the same. Karyna woke up and then I sent Nayeli into our bed.

Night seven was the same as night six, so was the morning.

On night eight I figured a week had gone by and I was ready to complete the transition. I decided to put Nayeli and Karyna down at the same time again. After a long talk with Nayeli about trying to not be scared when Karyna cried and being quiet so she could fall asleep, we put them to bed. It proved to be a wonderful night. Nayeli did not cry when Karyna screamed. After a few minutes they were both asleep.

The morning was the same, but at least the night was successful!

Night nine went as smoothly as night eight, but this time the morning sent well too! Karyna still woke-up early, but she did not cry out as loud when she woke up, and Nayeli stayed asleep!

I hope there will not be any relapses in the future, and everyday will be as good as yesterday!

7 comments:

Welch Mom said...

Wow, sounds like you guys should be applauded for your endurance. Great job and I bet you are happier now because getting sleep is the best thing! You do not know how much you miss it until you do not have it!

Rebecca said...

Great job! We have been there and were not as strong as you guys. We just ended up making our office into Will's room. But, one day I'm sure we'll encounter that situation again.

Nick said...

I think I still have a headache from night five....

barb said...

i am thoroughly impressed - and glad for your whole family. what a difficult ordeal. glad the girls are doing well though - you both should catch up on sleep now - sort of

Aunt Alice said...

You're proving once again what a 'great' mom you are - I don't think I ever had that kind of patience and endurance! It just goes to prove what a disciplined approach can achieve.

barb said...

i agree

Cherice said...

I like the show Heroes too! Sometimes I wish they didn't make so much of every episode so "dark," but I like the premise of the show. Guess I know what you'll be doing tomorrow night! ;-)